Friday, April 4, 2008

Tajabone

Today I watched Almodóvar's Todo Sobre mi Madre, and I was incredibly moved by the song "Tajabone" on its soundtrack. I am listening to it on repeat now.

On a completely unrelated note, I was also watching an episode of Women on Top earlier today. It was about a woman who had "made it" in the chef business. During the commentary section, one of her friends said, completely serious, "there is no place for a woman in a kitchen". I'm not sure if the editors were perhaps being a bit sneaky there, but I don't understand why no one seems to find it incredibly ironic that the world of chefs is apparently a highly tough, masculinized one. Why, just because guys seem to dominate it? I bet if women were there it wouldn't be. Whereas in the home, the stereotype goes that the kitchen is the "female domain", and it is highly feminized. It's sadly ironic that a woman has to "make it" to the "chef's kitchen", but when it comes to the home, the stereotype remains that she'll be on the wearing the apron, spatula in hand.

End of rant.

No comments: