The girl cried out, 'I'm not talking about the rose-coloured kind. I just want to view the world through Normal glasses!'
The therapist sat back, thoughtful, pen to mouth.
“You mean the kind that come with a prescription, of course? Or are you pursuing this metaphor further?”
The girl was now even more exasperated. Her thin, bird-like face was becoming unpleasantly distorted as she struggled to reveal her innermost thoughts. She squawked, “No! I mean yes…(heavy sigh)…what I’m trying to say is that I want to feel and act as Normal People do. I…don’t feel “Normal” in the least. I mean, I don’t think I’m especially weird, but I just don’t quite fit in as other people do.”
Well there’s no denying THAT, the therapist thought, straining to not roll her eyes in front of the patient. Instead, she tipped her head back and closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them, the patient was slumped forward, breathing heavily, her delicate brow furrowed in the direction of the chipped coffee mug resting on the rounded table between them.
No comments:
Post a Comment